Friday, April 9, 2010

100 Words About: Wisconsin and Alcohol

So recently my beloved home state has been in the news again because of our apparently extraordinary relationship with alcohol.

Now, I've heard from many non-Wisconsinites on this matter. Most amusing, of course, is Lewis Black, but I've never taken the drinking thing all that seriously. I mean, really, do we drink so much more than other people?

But then I read in the AP's article "Nearly one in four Wisconsin residents age 18 to 44 had four or more drinks in one sitting at least once within a month's time in 2008 - the latest year available - topping all other states, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

And, blinking in confusion, my first thought was, "So?"

And then I thought, "Hmm, maybe we do have a little bit of a culture problem."

But seriously, four drinks in one sitting is nothing when a sitting can be several hours long. That's what we do here – sit around and drink, usually while watching sports of some kind. And who hasn't gotten together with friends at least once in a month's time? Here, if you're limiting yourself to one drink an hour you're either taking it easy or you're a lightweight. Is that really so unusual in other parts of the country? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Image: Nicholas Tarling / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment