Friday, August 13, 2010

100 Words About: Obsession

I was just reading through some of my early 100 Words About posts, and boy, I was a lot more poetic back then. So today we're harkening back to the "writing exercise" intentions I had when I first started this series of posts. As always, please feel free to leave a comment with your 100 Words!

Today's topic: obsession.

If every writer has a favorite theme, obsession is mine. There is something about it that's just so seductive, so delightfully naughty, so dangerous. I love exploring the darker sides of human nature, and obsession is definitely that. What is it about us that makes us fixate on one thing to the exclusion of all others, even when that fixation is detrimental to ourselves? What makes us reach out a to touch that candle flame again, when we've already been burned once?

I guess exploring obsession in my writing is a way for me to play with the candle without getting burned. I get to feel all the emotions as my characters feel them, but without the life-altering side effects, and hopefully provide a little safe-but-illicit cathartic thrill for my readers as well.

My poetry escapes me on this topic. I think about someone being subsumed by their desire, losing the will to fight it, wanting to give up control to this feeling that’s destroying them, and I just get all giddy inside. Literally hugging-myself-and-giggling giddy.

I am soooo looking forward to NaNoWriMo this year. (Hug. Giggle.)

Image: Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment