Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dogs dogs dogs

So, I am not really a dog person. I've never had a dog. They're a lot of work, frankly. But there are aspects of dogs that I like - particularly, I like dogs that like to just hang out with you.

My husband wants a dog.

Now, he's wanted a dog for a long time. He's wanted kids for a long time too, but I'm just not up for that. Sweet man that he is, he'd rather have me.

Last night a friend told us of a dog that was going to be put down unless someone could find it a home TODAY. So we thought about it. But it's a high-energy dog, which we both agreed was a non-starter. But that got me looking into dog breeds, and I found the mastiff.

From what I've read, mastiffs are good indoor dogs. They need their daily walk or two just like any other dog, but they are generally happy to hang out on the floor next to their owner. Say, like while she's typing.

I could get behind that.

I would love to hear from any other mastiff owners out there about their dogs. Basically, we have an 1800-square-foot house, with a small yard, and two older cats. The yard is not currently fenced but we can fix that easily enough. Preferably we want a female shelter dog over one year old.

Ideally, I want a dog I can walk once or twice a day, take on car rides or to the dog park on weekends, that will not beg for my attention all the time when I'm at home, and that will ENJOY just hanging out with me in my office or on the porch while I work. Mastiff owners, does that sound like I have picked a good breed?

(Yes, I'm aware of the slobber issue. I'm not fond of dog slobber, but I don't think I'm going to find a breed that is a better fit that doesn't have SOME sort of issue. If you know of one, please post!)

Ok, back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment