Friday, February 5, 2010

100 Words About: Hiccups

When I was a kid, my sister and I swore to the effectiveness of pickles as a cure for hiccups. Any time either of us were afflicted, eating a pickle would take care of it. Other people testified to the merits of swallowing a spoonful of sugar, or drinking out of the far side of a glass, or just drinking water. My old martial arts instructor even showed me a pressure point that was supposed to help.

But as I've gotten older, the only thing I've found really works for me anymore is diaphragm exercises: very slow controlled breathing or holding my breath while doing very slow controlled abdominal isolations. Who knew Middle Eastern dance would lead me to a hiccup remedy?

Leave a comment with your 100 words!

Image: Suat Eman / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment