Friday, May 27, 2011

100 Words About: Cold

I'm from Wisconsin. I'm used to cold, I deal with it for long stretches every year.

I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life, and I have to say this is one of the weirdest springs I can recall. (Caveat: my memory sucks.) Here we are, nearly to June, and I had to put the quilt back on the bed. The low yesterday was 37 degrees. The average low is 50 degrees.

It took forever this year to finally be done with snow, and frost is still a real possibility. The only upside to that is that the crops got planted so late that they probably suffered little damage from all the hail we've had.

The really weird part is that all the trees and the spring plants did their thing anyway, so the maples are nearly fully leafed, and the violets are done and the dandelions have gone to seed and the lilacs are out. You look out the window and it looks like it should be warm.

Please tell me we're not going to skip straight to hot and humid? The nice spring warm-but-not-muggy weather lasts such a short time normally, can we please not just skip it entirely? Pretty please?

Image: Suvro Datta / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember two years ago when the summer was cool and gorgeous and was only unbearable with heat and humidity for about one week? I'm going for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could deal. That was a freakish summer though, never got above 100 degrees. I don't expect to be so lucky again so soon.

    ReplyDelete