Friday, June 3, 2011

100 Words About: Power Naps

Every weekday morning, my alarm goes off at 5:45am. It then goes off every 9 minutes after that until 6:30am, when we finally get up.

We have mastered the morning power nap.

For whatever reason, by the time the alarm goes off at 6:30am I'm more or less ready to be awake and alert, whereas when we used to just set the alarm for 6:30am I'd be groggy and zombie-like.

I'm not entirely sure how this works.

I first learned to power nap in college, when I would catch catnaps in the hallway in between classes. (People thought this was weird, but I didn't care.) Now I can drop off to sleep fairly quickly most nights, and in between the alarms I'm usually back asleep and dreaming within seconds.

I think it's a way for my brain to ramp up to full consciousness. By the time that last alarm goes off, I'm usually just dozing and sort of thinking ahead to what I need to do that day.

Do any of you power nap? What's your morning routine?

Image: photostock / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment