Friday, August 14, 2009

Workin' Workin'

So the 1794 story is now up to just about 10k words, and I still have to get to the big confrontation at the end, plus I'm about to jump into nookie scene number 2. (I figured a story this long should have more than one, if I could have it make sense.) So this may end up being a 15k+ story, which would be great, although I do still have to trim back the dialogue at the beginning. So the gods alone know what length it will end up. I'm hoping for 15k+ as that gives me more markets.

I'm trying to figure out how to balance long and short projects. Certainly 1794 has turned out to be a much longer time commitment than I intended, but such is life. I have a few other anthology calls I'd like to submit to, so there's more short stories to write. But I still haven't started on a new longer project, and while the shorts are lots of fun and are good publicity and will pay me faster, I do need to get started on a new longer piece.

I know I keep rehashing this, but figuring out how to balance my time is proving frustratingly difficult. I'm really having a hard time trying to work on more than one project at once. My natural instinct is to buckle down on one thing and finish it, then move on to the next thing. I can multi-task - my last job required it in droves. I just hate doing it.

I'm going to try and get back to The Plan(TM)of putting in 500 words on a long project and then getting to work on whatever I want. I think though that I will rephrase that to 500 words on a long project before working on other things. Otherwise this will never get done.

Enough rambling, back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment