Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday Tip: Write It Down


I've had several good ideas for blog posts lately: this wasn't one of them.

When you get a good idea, write it down.

I always used to think that I'd remember my great idea, but I never did. I started writing them down – when I was near something to write on. (Email works best for me. I tend to throw out bits of paper.) Those of you with smart phones will have less of a problem than I do, as you always have a note-taking device handy. I don't have a smart phone, and I haven't quite developed the habit of making notes on my cell phone.

The other time where I don't write stuff down is when I'm lying in bed. See, I used to have terrible insomnia as a kid, so I would tell myself stories. That way, if I had to be awake at least I was entertained. Somehow, this morphed as I started writing seriously. They tell you not to think about things when you're trying to get to sleep, but my brain has a hard time shutting off. However, if I start trying to work on my current project (usually outlining or world-building) then BOOM, brain turns off.

For the most part that's great, but unfortunately sometimes I have a breakthrough right before I fall asleep, and for whatever reason I still don't keep a notepad by the bed.

Take heed, my fellow writers. Find ways to get those ideas down where they'll be safe. Because if your brain works anything like mine, that fabulous idea is only going to be around until the next one—and that one almost certainly won't be as good as the one that got away.

Image: luigi diamanti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment