Monday, March 9, 2009

Distractions

Distractions abound. Between refinancing, birthday parties, home maintenance, and some long overdue one-on-one with the husband, I'm hardly getting any writing done. Bah! No one said this writing life was easy - but at least my office is repainted and the closets are cleaned out. Now just to haul all that stuff down to St. Vinnie's, and I'll have a viable guest bedroom again. Amazing how much you can get done when you are avoiding doing other things!

I'll be heading to that writer's conference I mentioned last time at the end of March. Should be interesting. I'd love to have an agent but I'm not going to let that stop me - e-publishing may not be as glamorous as print, but I do think it's a growing field. I'll be very interested to see how much the industry grows in the next five years or so. I had never thought I would want to buy anything in a download-only format, but the Teaching Company cured me of that! I love those guys, especially because I can log into my account and download my lectures again no matter where I am or what computer I am using. This is particularly nice when I'm traveling and just have my laptop - I can download the lectures I want to listen to without having to plan ahead, or hook up my laptop to our network at home. (I leave all that networking stuff to the husband.) So, while I'm not quite kosher with downloading music yet (partly because there is no RIAA for audiobooks, as far as I know, so I'm not worried about proving that yes, I really did pay for that. Yes, RIAA, you have helped me just stop buying music ALL THE WAY AROUND! Good job! Thank the gods for internet radio!) I am more than happy to download audiobooks. I have bought one digital CD and one digital non-audio book (PDF that I printed out). I guess it will be a race to see which happens first - I get a digital book reader of some sort for free, or the RIAA gets brought down by RICO charges.

I can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment